Friday, October 07, 2005

A TALE OF TWO COACHES: GENERATION GAPPED BUT WITH HIGH HOPES

Mauricio Ingrassia is in season two at Long Beach State. Brian Gimmillaro
is in season 21. A couple of decades of difference on the job, but for the
fall sports fanatics at Long Beach the guys with all the vowels provide the
high hopes for 49er fandom.

With both of the basketballs in a rebuilding mode, the hot stove league
chatter these days are about how quickly soccer is building toward glory and
if volleyball can return to glory.

The teams each feature a lot of young faces, but other comparisons are
equally interesting. Both men are more or less home town heroes Ingrassia
graduated from CS Fullerton in 1995 with a degree in psychology, had modest
credentials as a player, is married to a model-like wife, Erin, has a
daughter, Madison and lives a long corner kick from campus. Brian graduated
from Long Beach State in 1970 with a degree in Economics, played for fun on
Belmont Shore weekends. also has a model-like wife Dania, a son, Stefan, and
daughter, Lauren and lives a long over serve from the Pyramid.

Put either coach on the dais of a sports assembly and they come off
handsome, erudite, charming, optimistic and home town happy. Brian has
what he has said are almost perfect facilities, an office suite worthy of
Donald Trump, camps, and clinics and of course the Pyramid. The combined
income makes him almost impossible to lure to say Texas.

Mauricio is of course on the front end of his career and his creature
comforts are clearly primitive. "We have some plans that we hope to get up
and running to make a little stadium, the potential is here, but the
facilities.." And his voice politely trains off. The Beach backers gather
on wobbly metal bleachers on one side of the discarded former football
practice field but the young talent on the pitch may well light the fire for
financial fixes.

Meanwhile back inside, the Gimmillaro insiders in his kitchen cabinet admit
that the recruiting went blank a few years but is on a roll now. Will the
Final Four trips resume? Development of the new kids and the health of the
old kids will have a lot to say about that. In soccer, the early returns
are already higher than expectations and making the Big West post-season now
seems like a reasonable expectation. The new guard can learn from the old
guard, but then again maybe they can teach the old dog some new tricks.

MIXED DUST-How nice that Mike Gallo will taste some post season with his
Astros and how huge was the comeback year of Jason Giambi, the power supply
behind yet another Yankee sprint to the finish line.

Ingrassia's current recruiting class is ranked 15th nationally, four of his
incoming freshmen are amongst the nation's top-100 recruits and next year
will also land some big name blue ribbon booters. Ditto for the 2006 WVB
class.

Back here in Florida at the sports bars, you get the feeling that USC is a
not really popular south of the Mason Dixon line. At halftime last Saturday
the local bar flies were figuring out who would be the new number one. Then
the Cardinal and Gold released the twin Trojan horses, White and Bush, and
that was that.

Closing with a session of Palm piloting. Both the volleys and the soccers
are back at or near home this weekend, Maurcio's kickers begin a four-match
home stand on Friday when they host nationally-ranked Cal Poly and Brian's
queens of the spike play at UC Irvine Thursday and at CSUN Friday.

The Niner Hall of Fame golfers did their thing on Monday with the meet,
greet and eat with the Hall of Fame class of 2005 will be inducted October
20 at the Hyatt Regency Long Beach and at least one speaker will conclude
their remarks with a hearty "GO BEACH"-DR. DAN

22 Comments:

Blogger Best Buy said...

Great stuff on dog equipment golf and I even bookmarked you! Of course I do have a similar page about dog equipment golf

October 8, 2005 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Best Buy said...

Great stuff on golf equipment putter and I even bookmarked you! Of course I do have a similar page about golf equipment putter

October 14, 2005 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Best Buy said...

Great stuff on equipment equipment golf golf pro.golfequipmentcenter.com rating review and I even bookmarked you! Of course I do have a similar page about equipment equipment golf golf pro.golfequipmentcenter.com rating review

October 14, 2005 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger wpb-258384 said...

Great blog you have! I really enjoyed it. I heard of a great site that is giving away a free set of Nike Golf Clubs. I think your readers will enjoy it. Just click the link below and enter your Zip Code to see if you qualify!
Free Nike Golf Clubs!

October 23, 2005 at 2:24 AM  
Blogger Long Island Guide said...

Hi,

I am looking around many blogs to see how and what to write about. I like what you have here and was wondering if you can help me out. I know that this is not on the subject you are talking about, but any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking of writing about long beach island rentals What do you think? Check the site and let me know.

Best regards,

Lon

October 24, 2005 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger GS said...

Hey here is a site that actually gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other useful information regarding Las Vegas getaways and blue man group tickets Check it out blue man group tickets

October 24, 2005 at 6:54 PM  
Blogger Jani said...

Hey here is a site that actually gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other useful information regarding Las Vegas getaways and hypnolarious tickets Check it out hypnolarious tickets

October 25, 2005 at 5:11 AM  
Blogger Long Island Guide said...

Hi,

I just browsing through some blogs to get some ideas for mine, I hope you don't mind. I would like your opinion because you have a great blog here!

I wish to start writing about long island college hospital What do you think?

Come and check out my site let me know if you think my topic would spark an interest.

Best regards,

Lonny

October 26, 2005 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger brian said...

It always helps to check several places. Like this one common law

October 27, 2005 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger WDM Info Services said...

Your Blog is Awesome, blog hosting is the easiest way to get your blog read by more people.

blog hosting has always been my thing

October 30, 2005 at 1:20 AM  
Blogger Long Island Guide said...

Hi,

I am looking around many blogs to see how and what to write about. I like what you have here and was wondering if you can help me out. I know that this is not on the subject you are talking about, but any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking of writing about map of long island new york What do you think? Check the site and let me know.

Best regards,

Lon

November 2, 2005 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger Long Island Guide said...

Hi,

This is interesting, I've been looking around to get some ideas for our blog. Haven't started yet. I'm hoping you can give some advise. Here's my topic and website. Please take a look.

long island zip codes . It pretty much covers long island zip codes related stuff.

Come and check it out and if you can suggest something I would love to hear your advice :-)

Best regards,

Lonny

November 3, 2005 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger Long Island Guide said...

Hi,

I am looking around many blogs to see how and what to write about. I like what you have here and was wondering if you can help me out. I know that this is not on the subject you are talking about, but any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking of writing about roosevelt field mall long island What do you think? Check the site and let me know.

Best regards,

Lon

November 5, 2005 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Rebek said...

I love your blog Dr. Dan's Diamond Dust. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of golf equipment company and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on golf equipment company. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit A TALE OF TWO COACHES: GENERATION GAPPED BUT WITH HIGH HOPES again!!

November 11, 2005 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger GS said...

Hey here is a site that actually gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other useful information regarding Las Vegas getaways and amazing jonathan tickets Check it out amazing jonathan tickets

November 12, 2005 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger cmeltifa said...

What up Dr. Dan's Diamond Dust! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on golf equipment company for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though A TALE OF TWO COACHES: GENERATION GAPPED BUT WITH HIGH HOPES isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at golf equipment company. I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at golf equipment company. You never know you might see something you like! Again great job.

November 14, 2005 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding discount golf equipment uk and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) Dr. Dan's Diamond Dust your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on discount golf equipment uk was way off when compared to A TALE OF TWO COACHES: GENERATION GAPPED BUT WITH HIGH HOPES and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for discount golf equipment uk for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

November 18, 2005 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger hplauze said...

I love your blog. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of king cobra golf equipment and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on king cobra golf equipment. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit your blog again!!

p.s added you to my favorites take a moment to stop by http://www.golf-equipment-deals.com for I update it frequently

January 3, 2006 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Hi there! While out blog surfing today for specific info on club equipment golf review, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base...funny how we end up finding things while we surf. Should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about club equipment golf review.

January 11, 2006 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger Diamonds Center said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about diamond exchange
so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

January 13, 2006 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger All about Golf said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a cleveland golf site/blog. It pretty much covers cleveland golf related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

February 9, 2006 at 2:06 AM  
Blogger coutra said...

All I can say AWESOME blog! The other half and I just got back from Home Depot and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on dunlop golf equipment. I have literally been on-line for 4-5 hours doing research. Even though your blog really isn�t on the same page as dunlop golf equipment I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids calling in the background. I put you in my web favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at dunlop golf equipment. I update my site very frequently.(as time permits!) Again, awesome job blogging and I will be back again soon!

March 3, 2006 at 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home